Developing team members is one of the primary responsibilities of managers. Different managers do it in different ways. To develop your people more effectively, follow these tips:
1. Firstly, ask yourself – do you genuinely want to develop your people? Doing it as a compulsion of your job is unlikely to give you best results.
2. Have belief in your team members’ potential; More importantly, inculcate self-belief in them too; “Don’t you know even this much?” is a sure way of killing their confidence.
3. Take risks by assigning tasks that are beyond their immediate competence; they need to learn and discover themselves.
4. Be patient; they may not take off instantly.
5. Correct their mistakes through discussion than review; correcting them without affecting their confidence is the key.
6. Give credit for good work done – however small it is; it simply reinforces “I can do” attitude.
7. Finally, remember that your success is when your team members succeed!
To know more about how people development, click here.
Article by: Dr.Raj,
CEO, HR Footprints Management Services Pvt.Ltd.
Follow Dr.Raj on Twitter @drraj29